The Quarter Life Crisis Poet: a collection of poems on pain heartbreak and defiance by a twenty-something
What we have here is a Romantic, a Dreamer who got overthrown by the people around her. Whispers of deep hurts overlay the pages. This is a soul trying to climb out of the well of despair. Cursed with unfulfilled love, filled with longing. Nobody to turn to. So she writes, she satisfies her need to be understood through poetic emblems. She reflects on what could have been and comforts old wounds of a past undeclared. After Crisis comes the Calm. There is Hope in these Poems after all Catherine Vaughan is a Romantic with Hopes that True Love will return. After all the delay of romance is not a denial of it…
UK Paperback | Kindle
USA Paperback | Kindle
How to Heal Eczema Naturally: a quick self-help guide to learn the secrets of healthy skin
This quick guide reveals the effective and surprising secret foods, drinks and creams that can rapidly improve your skin. For instance did you know that grapefruit juice can alleviate eczema? Read this book to find out the best creams and ointments you can buy at the supermarket to reduce skin inflammation. Learn the Miracle Juice Recipe to make at home to clear your skin. This book is the ultimate lifestyle guide to help you understand the unsuspecting factors that aggravate your eczematous skin and help you find the best products to use in your home to keep eczema at bay. This is a truly holistic and quick-read health guide to help you heal your skin from the inside out. Plenty of simple and easy tips for you to get started with today on your journey to reclaiming healthy skin!
UK Paperback | Kindle
USA Paperback | Kindle
Like | Follow | Share
Dear Kindle Owners,
You can get your x2 📖 FREE 📖 downloads of my ebooks from Wednesday 16th December – Friday 18th December online on AMAZON.
📥💻 Download for FREE on AMAZON -> 16/12/15 until 18/12/15 <-💻 📥
WEDNESDAY 16th DECEMBER – FRIDAY 18th DECEMBER
“The Quarter Life Crisis Poet” is an #InstaPoet sensation. A debut poetry collection for teens and dreamers of any age.
“Another Realm” is a devilishly pleasurable romantic short story. Read it and lose yourself in another realm.
**BOTH ebook downloads contain a sample of Vaughan’s fiction debut revolving around a Bohemian Love Story. Get your first glimpse when you DOWNLOAD!**
📥 Download for FREE on AMAZON -> 16/12/15 until 18/12/15 <-📥
Event organizing essentially requires an the execution of the essentials: (1) books/product availability; (2) suitable space to host the occasion and (3) promotion to guarantee attendance of the event. Then it is simply a matter of organization and deadlines. Always be methodical, ask for help if need be and delegate. Good Luck!
Before the Event:
- Contact the Publisher of the Author you want a signing with. Get the exact date and times confirmed a.s.a.p. usually subject to Publicist’s approval. Get the Publicist’s contact number.
- Inform all staff and line manager’s of event plans.
- Promote, promote, promote! Contact head office and the marketing team/ P.O.S people and ensure you have the appropriate banners ordered specify event details and photo of the Author’s latest book on it etc. Contact the publisher’s again to see if they have promotional material and relevant P.O.S to use in store and in the bookshop window.
- Promote some more! Email any outside groups that may be interested in attending event. In this instance I was the account sales manager and often ordered books for nearby schools. I created a tailored and personalized email to each nursery and primary school inviting them to the event. I attached the ready made fliers and asked if they could be posted on the school’s bulletin board and or P.T.A meeting. (Top Tip! Usually only 2% of people will respond to promotional emails- so don’t fret if people don’t email back. They’ve got the message that is all that matters.)
- Order stock! Include the latest releases and selected back-list. Highlight that it is event stock.
- Don’t hesitate to use delegation to get things done!
- Plan out the actual day of the signing in advance, how many staff you need on the day. Make sure every facet of the event is covered. The devil is in the detail. The components of the event are: bulk amounts of the author’s books (get the right amount), space for the signing and logistics. Ensure the publisher is informed of travel requirements whether it be parking spaces, distance from train station etc. Make sure there will be plenty of cash for said date. Tills must be filled with maximum cash. Have the event banner and table plus belt barriers available at hand in the stock room.
- Actively engage and inform customers of the event and hand out relevant promotional material in the run up to the event. Try to get sales of the author’s books before the signing. Highlight the importance of customers purchasing stock before the event in case they sell out on the day. This will prevent chaos on the day of the signing.
- Get active on social media, highlight the event on any given media platform that you already use. #Hastagawaaaay Upload event listings on website and local newspapers and/or radio.
- Have a special thank you card ready for the Author and their Publicist. Gifts are optional!
On the Day of the Event
- Have spare sharpie pens and water at hand on the day.
- Have the author’s books in prominent places, near the front of store and also near the signing table. Make the displays creative and eye-catching.
- Have someone on stand-by topping up the display shelves so customers can readily purchase books.
- Ensure customers are aware of the layout of the signing and where it will be held etc.
- Have post-it notes and sharpies ready so customers can have their books dedicated to someone.
- Whilst customers are queuing speak with them share their excitement and check they have purchased the book(s) they want signed. If customer’s want their books dedicated attach post-it notes on the page the author is to sign on. Text must be in CAPITAL LETTER’S to prevent confusion and error. Check that the queue is kept in an orderly fashion.
- Adjust the room temperature if need be. Ambiance is everything.
- The Author may arrive bang on the start time so they must be greeted and escorted over to their signing table swiftly. Subsequently invite the first customer over when the signing is ready to commence. The Publicist will be standing next to the Author, try to have a bookseller nearby as well.
- Check that customer’s are aware when the event is ending, usually there will be a natural dwindling down. Event running times are sometimes a little extended depending on how the queue is.
- If you want extra store stock signed have these open on the page to be signed stacked up together kept in the stock room.They can be signed after event.
After the signing:
- Thank the customers for attending!
- Huddle around the author and make sure they have a breather and a drink.
- Enjoy the moment.
- Get the store stock signed.
- Give the Thank you cards and gifts. (Personally I had some nibbles ready in the staff room- should the Author wish to stay and rest for a moment.)
There was a designated spot in the window for the Picture book signing, the poster’s were made by Head Office.
At the Heart of the Children’s department was a noticeboard that promoted the event and the latest release at the time: “Superworm” which was illustrated by Axel Scheffler. In store we ensured to have promotional material to highlight the beloved Gruffalo, Donaldson’s back-list of books and related products such as these cute plush toys hanging on the board!
The actual signing took place (where I’m standing) in the kids department next to the fittingly age-related under 7’s area where picture books also live.
This is the display I made. It includes Donaldson’s most popular picture books plus other editions her beloved character’s are found in such as baby board books, puzzles and stationary. This is a unique selling point because it provide’s customers with a broader range of products from mini board books for babies in buggies, to pencil cases for school kids and non-book items and collectibles for fans young and old!
The front of store/F.O.S. is prime retail space for booksellers so more of Julia’s back-list was on display including her early reader’s selection of books.
Top Visual Merchandising Tips:
- Put display’s in prime retail spots such as front of shop.
- Make the display creative and eye-catching.
- Incorporate a broad range of products i.e. books in various editions and non-books such as stationary or toys.
- Keep it age or theme appropriate.
- Mention your displays to customer’s. If they are specifically asking for Julia Donaldson picture books show them a relevant display, let them be immersed in the product choices. Invite them to pick up the books so they know the display is not just to look at, they can help themselves to the items.
It’s been three years since Hereford Watertsones bookshop had the Queen of Picture Books grace her presence in this most quiet and small city. Three years ago I was the multi-tasking account sales manager, event-planning bookseller running the children’s department. I also had the privilege of hosting my first ever book-signing for the one and only Julia Donaldson.
It was a chaotic time, it was back to school season and a lot was going on. I had newly taken on the kids department and was learning the ropes. It was all perfect timing!
The day after I got confirmation that Donaldson could come to Hereford we had a visit from both a Divisional and Regional Manager and you can imagine how impressive it was to hear that not I been with the company for almost half a decade, but in less than three months into my new Kids Bookseller role I had a Top-Selling Children’s Author come to our store for a signing. It was nothing short of Catherine Vaughan’s Magic & Manifesting + Talent….
It was a lot of hard work but I learned a lot on the go and it was an experience to encapsulate what I do best: organization and magic! People wander how someone with no event-planning experience can accomplish such a huge task. I just respond saying I learned everything I needed to know about events management from reality television. And it’s true! Thank you Kimora Lee Simmon’s: Life in The Fab Lane TV show.
This is me in the Kid’s department.
The 1st customer who queued up was a Super Fan! She had nail art of The Gruffalo character’s on her hands- Wow! This is Julia signing my hardback copy of “Superworm.”
Here is my specially dedicated copy of “Superworm.” I was so delighted that Julia was happy with the running of the event!